All of my food is completely amoral

I am really, really tired of hearing about "good" food and "bad" food. Really tired. Took a chunk out of one of my roommates for it a few weeks ago tired.

STOP FUCKING DOING THIS.

There are a lot of things that it is a bad idea to eat. Polonium-210. Deathcap mushrooms. Razor blades. Shoes. By definition, things that are not good to eat, even if they give you caloric energy, are not food.

A slice of cake is not bad for you any more than an aspirin tablet is bad for you. Many slices of cake and many aspirin tablets may be bad for you, but neither of them is evil in and of itself. This is basic toxicology here -- "Alle Ding' sind Gift, und nichts ohn' Gift; allen die Dosis macht, daß ein Ding kein Gift ist," and so forth.

Imbuing food with magical moral judgements on your character and the power to make you a good or bad person is stupid, harmful, and probably the reason people choose to express their neuroses in the form of eating disorders these days, rather than good old-fashioned paranoid psychosis or religious mania or whatever it was they used to do before people thought 'thin' automatically meant 'worthy'.

Food is not good or bad. Pounds are not good or bad. If you choose to change these things, choose to change them for the same reason you might change your hair color or the route you drive to work in the morning: Because you think the change will be beneficial for you in some way. Stop letting other peoples' opinions of your body make the choices for you.

Comments

  1. Hey Arabella!

    Just wanted to drop you a line to say I think you're awesome. Found you through the Himmmm posts and became fascinated by your skills. I'd never heard of your major before. Pretty pretty cool. I also thoroughly enjoyed your Dr. Who post. Love your style, intelligence, and wit.

    (I'm not Himmmm either...just someone who believes your "Solved to My Satisfaction" conclusion. Sadly, because it was fun for awhile to think an A-lister was doing good (and so accessible to real people). Also sadly because it looks like my own work was namechecked by someone whose intentions are murky. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Very curious when Himmmm will pop again. Less curious to see how long it takes for everyone to stop talking about the pedophile allegations. :(

    Carry on with your badass self, and thanks for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. And now I see I should have proofed that comment. Do people opt not to leave comments because they're worried about what you'll read into their psyche? I don't think I want to know what incorrect parenthesis use says about me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good grief, I hope not. I'm pretty tolerant of anyone who isn't making a concerted effort to be a complete dickbag. I do tend to tell people exactly what I think of them, but more often than not it's good stuff that I suspect other people aren't saying because they think the speaker already knows.

    Unmatched parentheses merely tell me that you are human. :) People can figure out where the second one ought to go; machines degenerate into chaos without their precious delimiters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Delighted you used the term "dickbag". I wish you many more commenters who aren't dickbags. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

Fun things to feed rats